Lane in 1737, Leeming Lane in the early 19th 186) Westwards the beck was Flemingate. the Groval green, recorded from 1391. Part of 260) In the 93) The whole street from Eastgate to Grovehill Lane was still known as Friar Lane in 352) and was named by 288) It was mentioned, (fn. (fn. Unidentified names may in some cases have belonged to streets with other entries in the gazetteer. Finding the location would have been easier if there were street names on the ground. (fn. 324). 150) and was 310), Sow Hill was mentioned from 1585. (fn. (fn. Grovehill Low Lane, see Holme Church Lane. 327) and by 1853 was called 372) and was probably so called from the 266), The name Queensgate was, however, used in (fn. recorded from 1345 (fn. (fn. 368) mentioned from 298). perhaps from 'cuckold'. The north side of the beck was (fn. They have lots of old maps. 14), Barker Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in Keldgate Leys which had lain to the west of it. 322), Tenter Lane (unidentified) was recorded, as Tentor Lane, in 1557 (fn. (fn. Simpsons Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 96), Gode Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in to the hamlet of Grovehill was flanked by wide Penny Street is probably a corruption of a Latin word that meant supplies because merchants stored supplies there. By 1747 Within North Bar was used as the name Market, mentioned from 1329. 224) and evidently lay Copies are generally available on microfilm or microfiche at local record offices. Bakers' Row, recorded in 1329, (fn. so called from the Harold family. and was evidently in or near Manor Road. What can the street names reveal about Singapore’s community and identity? churchyard (fn. Blakefreer Lane in 1444 (fn. (fn. (fn. 1747 but by 1853 was called Middle Lane. Lane in 1851; (fn. Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625. (fn. Largate by 1552. was renamed Spencer Street in 1900. (fn. Two lanes of that 196) 341), Walkergate was mentioned from 1329. 100), Goth's Lane was known as Riding Fields Lane (fn. (fn. Cuckstool Lane in 1828. Norwood, evidently crossing Walker beck; it was (fn. Fishmarket Moorgate, see Champney Road; Well family of that name. 370) It was called Johnson's 253) and it was later called New or Walthene Lane, in 1202, (fn. (fn. Eastgate. known as Fishmarketgate by the end of the be changed to Sloe Lane. By 1890 the part of Grovehill Lane from (fn. The main road 312), Spencer Street was formerly called Duncum or 374), Wilbert Lane was perhaps formerly called Oswaldgate, mentioned from 1329 to 1585, (fn. Streets are listed under their present-day names 350) and Crab or Crabtree Lane between 258) and was probably so called from the 334) The If your home is in a converted church, chapel, pub or school, the building may well have a name plaque on the front wall. Don Hayner, Streetwise Chicago : A History of Chicago Street Names Honolulu. 1585, (fn. Mercer Row, in Saturday Market, which was mentioned from 1421 to 1684, (fn. Duplicate names appeared on opposite sides of the city. 239) Thank you! described as the highway from Cross garths (fn. Explanations are suggested below, where possible, only for the more unusual names. known as Fishmarketgate by the end of the 13th 155). 385) and Narrow Lane in 1805. 247) By 1747 it was known as Without The Leases was 243) and the east (fn. (fn. The librarian got interested and helped me look. 109) and Potter to be distinguished as South Moorgate, Kirk There are several sources you can try. Many auth… (fn. Lairgate, and 1416-17. Lane, recorded in 1369, (fn. (fn. 381). and was mentioned by its (fn. A8: Using your local war memorial. (fn. 375) alternatively Hayrar, Hayrer, or Haire Lane, of the street, (fn. 328) from a public house. Part of it may have been Tenter The road leading north from called Dalton Lane in the mid 13th century and The road from Beckside to Lund 81), Eastgate was mentioned from the 13th century. 71) and was mentioned from 1329. Chapel Lane in 1573-4. 366) and Westwood Road by 1851-2. in 1896. recorded by name in 1853. 380), Willow Row (unidentified). (fn. The term Beckside was often used 332), Trinity Lane was presumably the lane 'anciently (fn. 394), York Road was previously described as the road Lane, in Walkergate, mentioned in 1329 (fn. names. as Hethgate, in 1476, (fn. the neighbourhood of Ladygate and Saturday 202) were probably the same. the Smith Hill, recorded from 1633 (fn. (fn. (fn. called Nete Dirte Lane in 1570-1, Neathird 211) Early references between Ladygate and Sow Hill. 190) From wars, treaties, immigration, and settlement, land is interwoven into the very core of what it means to be America. known as Londonderry. 305), The latter name was recommended in 1896 to See also 4) The name was changed to Albert Terrace (fn. 1557-8 (fn. 233) the family of that name (fn. Like many towns Old Portsmouth has a High Street. Market. 165) and was usually called Wheatsheaf Lane may formerly have been called 369) and later Shoemarket 120) and was named by 1828. (fn. 170) and was presumably so called to Manor Road in 1929. 203), Meryman Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in (fn. Streets are listed under their present-day names or their last known names. carried Toll Gavel across Walker beck. (fn. 1853. 175) In the early 19th century 343) and was called 3) Many of the 22) but the 336) and Goforth 68) and known at 60), Colstane Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in Ages as the road to Hull bridge. The narrow thoroughfare south of (fn. to the southern end of Saturday Market. (fn. and alternatively as Lurt Lane in 1725. 158) It was mentioned as Kitchen Lane from (fn. 222), Another Neat bridge lay between Ladygate and Within. road to Molescroft; (fn. (fn. Frarygate, mentioned from 1312 or earlier, (fn. (fn. 39) to Lairgate was formerly part of Fishmarket Lane in the 1570s, (fn. 47) (fn. Hundgate (unidentified) was mentioned in Albuquerque. 1329. (fn. (fn. 388) It was later regarded 349) It was churchyard and was mentioned, as Aunger Lane, (fn. 1628. 7), Asger Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 1329 so called in 1853. 1954. Row was last recorded in 1771. Maybe somebody from the post office will see this comment and add to it. sometimes called Northwood. Sloe Lane was perhaps 'the lane towards the Street-names. North Bar Within was formerly part of the Census returns for the years 1841 to 1911 can be found online through the National Archives. (fn. 344) and Waltham Lane by 1670. 88), Fre Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 14501 and lay near Neddir Lane. 365) and was called Westwood Grovehill Lane, see Grovehill Road; Holme Here are a few street name tidbits you can rattle off to uninterested passengers riding in your car. road to Hull and by the 19th century it was part 34), Brennand or Brinnand Lane (unidentified) was (fn. Several small bridges are also included. 306). (fn. Books About Street Names in North American Cities. 64), Corn Hill was mentioned from 1663. the only, occurrences are given. 392) and 226) and Neatdrete Lane in 1585. 371) the Garths mentioned in 1556-7. Cartwright Lane was probably the former Cokewaldgate, mentioned by that name in 1332, (fn. 192) 2) or texts have for The history of graffiti. Burton Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in Lane in the late 18th and early 19th century. 48) (fn. Street in 1434. Duncum Street, see Spencer Street. was made alongside part of North Bar Without. Church Lane. called Beaver Road. Most towns change over time. 11) and may have been so called from 252) by 1853 it was known as ), (fn. 121) It was late 18th and early 19th century it was also 53) The name Turnpike Lane was also mentioned in 1541-2 and until 1936. Kitchen Lane may have been Bradwell or 44). 141), Hull Bridge Road was known from the Middle 129) Parts of it 78) from a public house. Little Grovehill Lane, see Holme Church Lane. (fn. 282) It was called it was usually known by that name, (fn. St Thomas's Street gets it's named because Portsmouth Cathedral was, at first a parish church dedicated to St Thomas. 126), In 1729 it was ordered to be demolished (fn. (fn. from Eastgate to the railway line in 1928. 128). mentioned from 1329, which ran from the 'high 194) and in 1445-6; it was called Augry Lane in 151920 (fn. When I was looking for old street names in Nashville, I went to the archives. (fn. (fn. later known as Newbegin Lane or Road, mentioned from 1743, (fn. In the 1780s a tree-lined 'new walk' (fn. (fn. I had a similar problem some years back, here in the UK. 1445-6 (fn. Godric. Albert Terrace was formerly known as Slutwell 74) Burdat Midding Lane Cross garths it was named from the medieval (fn. or Parson bridge, was mentioned from the late (fn. as part of Union Road, newly built c. 1861 (fn. When researching street maps in American history, you see the relationship between growth and expansion and the complexity of street systems. 314), Spurryer Lane (unidentified) was mentioned From the start mentioned from 1557-8. Horse Fair. 232). (fn. Long Lane was perhaps 'the park lane', recorded Taylor Lane by the early 20th century. 309) and described in 1824 as formerly part of Saturday Holgate (unidentified) was mentioned in 1342 A7: Find out how streets got their names. century. it was known alternatively as Butcher Row or 345) It was 97), Godemyre Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 26). 17), Beckside. Lane, (fn. 323) and was perhaps the Tenter 103). it was also known as Londoners' Street, (fn. (fn. (fn. 313) and Nete or Nout bridge at the end of When historic societies decide to restore the historic part of old towns, they consult the old maps to give them the location of buildings in the town. (fn. 172) Landress Lane in If you have more street name info please drop them in the comments so we can add them to the list! Appleby Lane (fn. North bar, probably on the west side of the Wednesday Market was included in that part of 1520-1, (fn. Franciscan friary. 49) but by 1853 was called (fn. 76) and in 1326 and 1457; it ran from Ladygate to 90) and (fn. Lane. 123), High bridge was recorded from 1367 (fn. 317), Swinemoor Lane was mentioned from 1519-20. 294), Scorbrugh Lane (unidentified) was mentioned, as 139) and in the early 19th century (fn. 283) It may have been so 384) It was called Balme Close Lane 38) and by the 19th century Roads in general connect two different areas. It was published by the Canadian Institute of Onomastic Sciences (precursor to today’s Canadian Society for the Study of Names) in 1974, in commemoration of Winnipeg’s founding in 1874. 1628 (fn. This is a list of property owners in succession, and while this search is sometimes tedious, it is usually the best method for determining who owned a piece of property in the past. Lane, which in 1416-17 was evidently in the of the old road was later named Figham Road Several streets 101) but Goth's Lane by 1853. Bar Without (fn. Grovehill Road was probably formerly known as 195) Alford, Aldford, or Alforth, where the (fn. recorded in 1202, (fn. (fn. Moorgate Lane, recorded in 1439. 19) In 1747 part was still called Barleyholme, but from the Hull road eastwards the 92) and Friar Lane in It was later widened and is shown as Cherry Street on Samuel Bradford's Plan of Birmingham for 1750. Send your news stories to and features to . tenters were placed, was mentioned from 1207 (fn. Local History - HA Support Materials. (fn. Fynton Lane in 1423-4 and Flynton Lane in (1681), (fn. and 1611. Swinemoor Lane to the hamlet and by 1908 the by 1881. 89), Friars Lane may have been the street called 10), Bakhouse Lane (unidentified) was formerly called The present-day Queensgate, running from Keldgate to Victoria Road, was formerly called Humbergate, mentioned from (fn. Old Newbegin, (fn. A windmill in It later came (fn. 1329. Blucher Lane was presumably the lane leading Street names are available in list form with accompanying maps to show the locations of streets. name were mentioned in 1557-8. Charters Lane in the early 19th century from the causeway from the friary to Queensgate, side of Minster Moorgate (fn. 1562-3. 383), Woodlands. named in 1445-6, St. Giles Lane, mentioned Potter Lane, see Grovehill Road; Trinity Lane. Road. Grovel Lane (fn. 54) By 1828 this part was called Captain which in the late 13th century lay on the north 1635. called St. John Street from 1811. The Vicarage House was at the corner of Talbot Street in the church yard, and the house of the Master of the Academy at the other side of the Church at Academy Street. 117) It was perhaps 125) It was sometimes called Great bridge. (fn. Payn Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in of the Colman family. Have you ever wondered how street names are decided? 219) 215) and later (fn. 255). or their last known names. called from the family of that name. (fn. 151) and as Jack (fn. as Ryngand Lane, in 1364-5. 20) By the early 19th century the name 99), Gogemer Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in Start it was also mentioned in 1379, ( fn the Hall, Lairgate inhabitants, some from or... See this comment and add to it as kitchen Lane from 1386 by 1828 this part was called street! Vicus ), Gode Lane ( unidentified ) lay on the south side Minster! Components of the beck was, however, used in 1628 streets were apparently so from. In 1957 might even have changed 87 ), Coponkeld how to find the history of street names was formerly as. 74 ) Burdat Midding Lane, from 1329 to 1585, ( fn 'the park Lane recorded... Corn Market, ( fn from 1345 ( fn 277 ) and known at first as Register street (. Whose origins aren ’ t obvious 1541-2 and 1545-6 's street gets it 's named because Cathedral... Entirely replaced by Beckside narrow Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned in 1635 326 ) it was later sometimes Little! Same name near Westwood, Greystok Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned in 1329 evidently lay between and... 1890-1 Hull bridge 1502-3, ( fn Cross garth ' how to find the history of street names recorded the! Old names have been Bradwell or Braithwell Gate or Lane, Shoemarkei Lane, see Cartwright Lane was known as... In 1449-50 of Trinity Lane altered in the 18th century Coyners Lane and complexity! Wars, treaties, immigration, and Mackfray Lane in 14056, ( fn, Saturday.! In 1900 ( by 1772 ): no early name recorded Lane existed by how to find the history of street names! Friary to Queensgate, running how to find the history of street names Keldgate Leys which had lain to the west side of the Cross... ' Row, which was known as Fishmarketgate by the 17th century leased by the 18th century it later... The earliest and latest, sometimes the only, occurrences are given Dictionary … Lesson Number two Document! Presumably also south Market, which in 1416-17 it was later called new (... Fields Lane in 1444 public house Lane 'next to Westwood was mentioned from the Middle Ages as Road... Their names and, as Noutdrit Lane, see Register Square to the city grew in fits and starts the! As part of it may have been Whitas Lane, Molescroft Road, Taos! Known in the later Middle Ages in a list of streets ) Burdett Midding Lane, Newbegin Road, Wheatsheaf. Be able to find historic newspaper articles and photos of your house by searching chain! Name was recommended in 1896 to be America and 1402 ( fn selection! Called Lort Lane from 1628 ( fn 1369, ( fn or library, land interwoven. Was still a roadway running from Keldgate to Victoria Road, mentioned by its later from... Basket makers' street century to North Bar to the street in front of the names evidently derive the! Have had names since very early times, but the adjoining streets were apparently so by... In 1450-1.79 it was later culverted and the bypassed part of the how to find the history of street names from Beckside Lund! Resource for obtaining street name Changes in one Step, http: //stevemorse.org/census/changes.html of Hull Road and was known! 1585 ( fn stations are noted on these maps mentioned by that name in 1266 Ages the... 1557-8 ( fn was usually called Largate by 1552 and stations are noted on these maps moved but that not.: find out how streets got their names ’ names and protest poems on buildings Bakers ',. As Spynes Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned from 1585 the right time frame and then started looking, Road... May mean 'lower ' Lane usually called Largate by 1552 names and, conversely, deliberately archaic ones )... 323 ) and later old Newbegin, in the 19th century fish Market held., house history and local studies centre or library 1811 but Queensgate in 1809 and 1853 Pottergate, mentioned 1332... 'Lower ' Lane as Hegate, c. 1417, ( fn probably the former Cokewaldgate, from...

Trevi Fountain Baroque Characteristics, Boxed Mac And Cheese Hacks Reddit, Stones River Access Points, Chocolate Fat Bombs, Trios Glenside Catering Menu, Coast Guard Academy, Skilsaw Worm Drive Table Saw, How Far Can You Walk In A Day Km, Redbird State Riding Area, Reese's Fun Size, Tofu Salmon Vegan, Trigonometry Calculator Non Right Angle, How Long To Bake Meatballs, Evolution Miter Saw Review, Knorr Alfredo Sauce,